Navigating the Northwestern Partnership and Available Researcher Resources
Stanley Manne Children’s Research Institute is one of the interdisciplinary research institutes of Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, where principal investigators who are part of the research institute are full-time faculty members. Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago is the pediatric teaching hospital for the Feinberg School.
Understanding what research resources Manne Research Institute researchers have through this affiliation can help them maximize the support received on their research projects and endeavors. Can’t find what you are looking for or have a question regarding the partner affiliation and resources available to you? Contact the Research Navigation team.
Lurie Children’s research staff looking to obtain access to Northwestern Memorial HealthCare (NMHC) systems or clinical practice privileges to conduct research at Northwestern University or its affiliating locations (Northwestern Medical Group, Lake Forest Hospital, Central DuPage Hospital, etc.) will need to submit a request to the NMHC Research Access Program.
- For a quick summary of processes and all available resources, view the NMHC Access instructional video.
- The first step is to contact your area’s assigned Access Program Liaison to obtain guidance on this process.
- The Access Program Manual outlines the options for level of access and the various requirements based on the level of access needed.
- Review the Frequently Asked Questions.
- If applicable, work with your liaison to complete Lurie Children’s Risk Management Trust Application to obtain a liability certificate.
Journal, e-book, and database subscriptions are managed by Northwestern University and may require a university NetID. Lurie Children’s employees can access many of these resources while on-site by using the Galter Health Sciences Library. Contact Andrea Fawcett for assistance.
- Enter the name of the resource or keywords in the search box.
- When an item of interest is located in the results list, click “online access.”
- You will be redirected to a page that asks you to sign in with your NetID.
- If you do not have a NetID, click “continue without Galter sign in.” In many cases, you will be able to access the resource.
Lurie Children’s and Northwestern University have an Institutional Authorization Agreement which allows the Northwestern University Institutional Review Board (IRB) to rely on the Lurie Children’s IRB for the review of human subjects under certain circumstances. To learn more about this reliance agreement, refer to our IRB reliance agreements page.
- For a quick summary of processes and available resources, view the Lurie Children's and Northwestern IRB instructional video.
The Office of Research Integrity and Compliance (ORIC) instructs Manne Research Institute investigators with animal protocols will go utilize Northwestern University’s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). For a list of available animal services and costs, visit the Center for Comparison Medicine. For more information on IACUC processes, please reference ORIC’s IACUC page and resources available in the Understanding Your Research Resources section below.
- For a quick summary of processes and available resources, view the IACUC instructional video
REDCap is a secure, web-based application designed to support data capture, allowing users to build and manage online surveys and databases quickly and securely. Manne Research Institute investigators may have access to the Northwestern REDCap instance for research use only. A NETID is required for access. Visit the Lurie Children's REDCap Resource Hub to learn more about the differences between the Lurie Children's and Northwestern REDCap instances.